What’s the study about?
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effectiveness of a specially designed mindfulness meditation-based intervention on the psychological and behavioral functioning in women who are living with metastatic (Stage IV) breast cancer versus a wait list control group. About 60 women will take part in the study.
If you sign up for the Mindfulness Meditation-Based Intervention for Women Living with Advanced Breast Cancer, you will be contacted by the research team to confirm that you are eligible for the study. You will be asked questions about your breast cancer and medical history. If you choose to participate in the study, you will be asked to do the following:
• Complete an online survey questionnaire at your home before your baseline and follow-up visits.
• Go to UCLA for an initial baseline visit that will last approximately one hour. At this visit, you will be asked to complete a survey questionnaire, have your height, weight, and waist circumference measured, and have your blood pressure and heart rate measured while you are completing a computerized cognitive and emotional task.
If you are eligible, and you decide to join the study, you will be assigned by chance (like the flip of a coin) to participate in the mindfulness meditation-based intervention classes either during the study or after its completion. If you join the study, you will be asked to:
• Go to UCLA once a week for a 6-week group intervention program. These classes will last 2 hours each, and are free of charge.
• Go to UCLA for one follow-up study visit a week or two after the group intervention ends. This visit will take less than one hour. At this visit, you will be asked to complete a survey questionnaire online, have your height, weight, and waist circumference measured, and have your blood pressure and heart rate measured while you are completing a computerized cognitive and emotional task.
• Complete an online survey questionnaire at home 3 months later.
Who is conducting the study?
Patricia Ganz, M.D., Julie Bower, Ph.D., and Annette Stanton, Ph.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles.
University of California, Los Angeles
Who can participate?
You can sign up for the Mindfulness Meditation-Based Intervention for Women Living with Advanced Breast Cancer if you meet ALL of these MAIN criteria:
• You are a woman over age 21.
• You were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer (at initial diagnosis or recurrent) at least 5 years ago.
• Your cancer has not spread to your brain.
• You do not have a personal history of any other cancer besides primary breast cancer.
• You are able to carry on your day to day activities at work or around the home.
• It is OK if you are on endocrine therapy, such as tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor or herceptin.
• You are able to read and write English.
• You live in the Los Angeles area and are willing and able to drive to UCLA to attend 6 weekly group sessions and participate in a pre-visit and one follow-up visit.
After you RSVP, the research team will contact you to ask additional questions to be sure that the study is a good fit for you.